NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The Making of a Proverbs 31 Woman*



I walked slowly through the dark along side of a moving truck/make-shift 4 day sanctuary. Gravel shifted beneath my feet, the city lights spread before me, sprawling the valley below the time-warn rims of the cliffs which stalk this little big city.  I heard a baritone voice, steadily reading the words from old scripture.  Familiar words played at my ears as I drew closer to the truck's opening.  I didn't want to disturb the reader, so I hung near the light pouring into the cold night air, soaking, breathing in the Truth.


A capable wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels.  The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life.

We had disagreed before I left for my post at the podium of a Marathon to declare God's Word over the fallen of the city.  A mission of hope running towards National Prayer Day. It was a silly, little, could.have.been.avoided disagreement... but I SO wanted to do my love good.  Lord, forgive this quick heart... I WILL give it over to you and repent to him. Thank you for Grace so Your Word might still be shared.

She rises while it is still night and provides food for her household and tasks for her servant-girls.  She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.She girds herself with strength, and makes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night.  

A light wind lifted stray hair, I pulled my coat tight, I pulled the dark close.  To be blessed by the late hour when I should be fast asleep preparing for my early morning rendezvous with the Lord, but here, with my lamp lit I stood, soaking, praying, lifting Hope to the Heavens.


Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come.  She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

Oh, Lord, make me.

Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband too, and he praises her: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all." Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.  Give her a share in the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the city gates.  

My eyes closed as I silently recite the Words which have become a balm, a hope, an anthem.  There is a pause, I step in to prepare for my place and I praise God for His Word, the hope.  I'm not that woman yet, I may never be... but praise Him for the Truth and joy we might set our hearts to... to declare his Hope to a city, a nation... a world.

May you be wrapped in His peace and love today.

Blessings,







Scripture from the NRSV Proverbs 31:10-12,15-18,25-26,28-31
I was blessed to be part of a Bible Reading Marathon, my shift was at 10:45pm because that is just.what God told me to do instead of sleep... and I am sooooo glad I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment