NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Monday, January 18, 2016

Menu Monday: Week of January 18th


How was your week last week?  Ours, mostly un-eventful.  I will admit we jumped on the lotto bandwagon, but only after some serious prayer.  We wanted to search our hearts and make sure it was for the right reasons and that our intent, if we were to miraculously win, would honor God.  After all, $1,586,400,000, requires some heavenly focus if, when reporters come years later, we could truly look back and glorify God with it.  Our heart?  Missions of course! 

We have dear friends we would love to not only financially encourage but also physically.  The kids are going on a trip this summer with their youth group to South America and Brenden and I are tentatively schedule for some field support in another more secure area next winter.  And Brooke and I are already talking about a trip we need to push out about 4+ years to support some friends in Africa.  Missionaries need our financial support, yes, but having some sweet friends in remote places, when we talk with them, what they also want is friendly faces from home to come and encourage them in person.  Their are so many friends with these needs, but not so much money to make it happen.  This was our heart and hope.  So, we cast our lots, prayed to God, and trusted they would fall where He decided.  The results?  

Yup, we bought 3 tickets for $6 and took a $4 nibble off the pot!  We chuckled and knew; at least we could say we said a prayer and took a shot... instead of always wondering 'what if....'!


In keeping with trying to share some previous week dinner result pictures, I thought I would show you my left-over roast stew. 
There were two slices of meat left and plenty of potato and carrot.  I thinned out the dinner gravy with some beef stock (I used beef bullion and water), cut up the meat and made the veggies more bite-size, and threw it all in the cook pot to simmer for about 30 minutes.  It was a warm filler-upper for lunch on a chili day!  My leftovers fed about 3 of us.

The other fun tid-bit from our week was some magnet fun Brenden indulged in.  He is fascinated with electricity, magnetism and how things work so we jumped to that section of his text book.  Since he was going to be learning about magnetism and motors so I jumped onto Amazon and ordered a kit that would fit in my budget.  The picture below shows one of the smaller magnets but even the larger horse-shoe is only about twice that size.  While they aren't big enough to do the experiments in the book, they are well made and he was able to try some other experiments with them to investigate magnetic fields and the various other things magnets are capable of.  He snapped this shot so he could zoom in and look closer at the relationship between the metal shavings as they sat on the tip of his magnet.


This week starts my 2 times a week car usage (we are currently a 1-car family).  Ashley's college class (dual enrollment) starts Thursday afternoon and will  normally run Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1-2:30.  She is also mentoring with her youth pastor/music minister on Tuesdays and I will be dropping her (and the others) off early since their meeting time is before youth group.  Then I will buzz over and pick hubby up from work.  Hubby requested a steak dinner, just the two of us.  Right around New Years they had some on sale so I scored us a nice cut, just big enough for 2, and picked up hot dogs which I will feed the kids before we leave for the church.  After getting home with hubby, he and I will cook and enjoy our special dinner and each other's company (un-interrupted) before I need to be back at the church for kiddos.

I'm hoping to do a hearty batch of banana bread this week.  Ashley brought home a bunch of over-ripe ones from work last month.  I open, mashed, bagged and froze them for later use.  I have procrastinated making it because I started a 'diet' last week and baking banana bread is going to be a tough task to resist nibbling on.  However, I DO like baking big batches because we can share it!  It is a great way to reach out and love on others (and a good, quick breakfast!)

Other then my baking task and heading to the college, we have a pretty steady week.  Ashley doesn't have her license yet so, as mentioned, I will be driving.  I plan to take Brenden and Brooke with and we can hang out in the library doing homework while Ashley starts college life!  This week I am doing some casseroles and oven dishes the kids can watch for me as I juggle our new schedule.


Menu for this week...

BREAKFAST....
- cereal
- eggs
- banana bread


LUNCH....
hubby: leftover Chicken Fried Rice
me and kids: leftovers, sandwiches

DINNER....

Monday
Bacon, Peas, Potatoes and fresh Rolls
This is an old recipe of my mom's... a poor man's super back in the 70s and 80s when bacon was a bit cheaper than it is now!  None-the-less, I got my bacon at Costco...

Cut 1 package of bacon into bite-size, fry, drain grease.  
Chop approx 5+ medium potatoes into bite-size and boil (I boil mine in a smidge of onion soup mix)
Chop or slice 1/4 - 1/2 onion (to taste)
Mix together bacon, peas (frozen are best), potatoes and onions.
(my mom did all this on the cook top, pre-cooking her peas, I casserole dish it...)
Sprinkle in some cheddar cheese and pour into a greased casserole dish.  Bake @350 approx. 20-30 minutes until piping warm and cheese is melted.  Serve with rolls or buttered bread.

I know this is a starchy dish.  I have done it with chunks of ham as well.  I plan to get some yellow or red potatoes to lower the starch levels and increase the substance, however, any potato will do.

Tuesday
Kids: Hot Dogs and Corn
Mom and Dad: Steak with fried Onions and Mushrooms, Corn, and Salad

Wednesday
Hamburgers and JoJos

Thursday
Herb Roasted Chicken and Salad with Rolls

So easy, I will pop it in the oven while I go grab hubby from work.  Butter (I use margarine) a casserole dish, plop in some thawed chicken breasts, sprinkle your favorite herb blend on top (I will use Greek seasoning) and pop in the oven on 350 for approx 45 minutes or until chicken starts to brown.  When mine is done I will serve it with salad which everyone usually cuts and makes chicken salad out of.  Brenden, however, makes chicken sandwiches with it!
My Favorite!
My Favorite!  I use this in my Potato Soup as well

Friday
Chili and Corn Bread

Saturday
Homemade Pizza

  
What are you doing and cooking this week?


Blessings,








No comments:

Post a Comment