NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Monday, June 20, 2016

Menu Monday: Week of June 20th

Wow, the last Menu Monday post was in May and it was the Menu-Making Edition!  This past month has been crazy busy... good crazy busy!  I have a post ready to go up later this week about graduation.  We also ended up with some last-minute company the week before grad which was fun.  A lot of cleaning, a lot of school year wrapping up, a lot of prepping and squeezing in ministry time as well... after all, if we aren't taking time to share God's Word then what are we really using our time for? 

Now that I am on the other side of graduation, life can begin getting back in order.  I'm excited to start fielding the next school year and getting back to my regular routine of household and ministry management, including the blog.  For other news from the last month you can check out Friday's post on Life Lately and check back on Thursday for Graduation: Homeschool Style!

One final note:  Today is the first day of summer!!!  We love celebrating the changing seasons.  I was going to skip our annual traditions this year, figuring the kids were 'too old' but then they invited a friend for First Day of Summer Slushies and I knew: you never outgrow celebrating the changing season!  I will share pictures and my recipe next week... because summer fun is good all summer, not just on the first day!

Food to share from this past month:

My lovely kitchen assistant!  She makes dinner prep sooooo much easier on this mama!  Here is what she was helping to plate:


Remember those HUGE chicken breasts I shared pictures of in my Menu-Making Edition article?  Well this is them all roasted up.  Three large breasts roasted in butter with sliced fresh garlic and onion over the top and a sprinkling of Greek seasoning on top.  You can see how we sliced them for serving.  We fed 6 people that night and still had leftovers!  I am planning a bread machine post soon to share a special clover roll recipe Brooke and I came up with.

 White Chili in the slow-cooker.  I have a walk-through recipe I will be sharing soon.

 An old family recipe for fried tacos.  My hubby's favorite... not so great for the cholesterol though!

Someone left BBQ rub in the break room and my husband's work, with a note that it was free for the taking.  I rubbed it on some skin-on-bone-in-chicken and roasted it in the oven.  Served with a salad, cubed potatoes and fresh bread... yumbo!  A total re-run dinner.

SIXTEEN, say what?  We got him a pick-up truck to commemorate his milestone birthday, what do you think?  Perhaps he can drive it with his pinky finger!  This is my ice-cream cake, I made homemade brownies in a jelly-roll pan and sliced for the edge: delicious.  Here is a YouTube video I made a few years ago to show how it's done.  Please don't mind my lack of time-lapse or my dry sense-of humor!  I had never made a how-to vid before!



 Here's a cake I did NOT make.  I thought it would be prudent to get a "professional" cake for Ashley's big day.  Never from that bakery again.  The cake I ordered had more flowers and a cute diploma roll.  This one lacked those perks AND the baker didn't even center "congratulations".  Ashley didn't like all the sayings on the stars since she is much more humble then some of their "Top 10 Reasons" to love graduation (like money, gifts, etc).  So I surgically removed their diploma and substituted my own using a plain piece of card-stock and a 3-D GRAD sticker I had. 


The rest of our graduation spread.  We found the drink jar at Ross on sale... steal of a deal!  It holds 2 gallons.  Ashley thought of the lemon/lime slices.  I have an awesome easy dip recipe for ALL occasions.  It works for veggies, potato chips and whatever else you like French Onion dip on:

1 pkg cream cheese softened
1 16oz container sour cream
1 pkg onion soup mix or equivalent of home-made
1 green onion chopped (optional)
Process all ingredients in food processor or with hand mixer and chill.  If you like your dip thicker, use less sour cream... if you like it thinner, use a little more.

Menu for this week...

BREAKFAST....
- cereal/oatmeal
- eggs
- blueberry muffins



LUNCH....
hubby: leftover Pork Fried Rice, fried summer sausage and rice
me and kids: leftovers, grilled sandwiches, tuna

DINNER....

Monday
FIRST DAY OF SUMMER!
Chili Dogs and mini home-fries with blue slushies

Tuesday

Mexi-Chicken Salad
I will use my slow-cooker for this one and pre-chop the chicken into small bite-size pieces.  Tuesdays are now Bible Study days at a local establishment.  Ashley is leading middle school girls and I am along for moral support.  THEN, I come home to lead my own adult Bible study.... a ready-to-eat meal will be nice.

Wednesday
Pork Fried Rice

Thursday
Double-Stuffed Baked Potato, Salad and Fresh Bread
I will bake potatoes, half-cool, scoop out inside and mix in a splash of milk and butter then add brocoli bits and ham.  I will re-stuff the potatoes and top with some shredded cheese and bake at about 375 for 20+/- minutes.  These are so hearty they are like a mini casserole!  Sides help complete the 'meal'.

Friday
Beef, Bean and Cheese Casserole with Side-Salad
I will home-make my tortilla and spread it into a baking dish, fill with my mexi-fried beef and some black beans (you can use taco seasoning, I fry mine with garlic, cumin, onion, chili and a splash of salsa).  Top with some cheese and toe top side to my tortilla and bake at about 375 for 30 +/- minutes. 

Saturday
Burger and JoJo night!

  
What are you doing and cooking this week?


Blessings,












2 comments:

  1. The white chicken chili and those fried tacos! Yum! Can you share the recipe or is it top secret?? :) I had a grad this year too! He will be starting school for welding in August!

    Here is my menu plan for the week: http://bygloryalone.blogspot.com/2016/06/happy-homemaker-monday-menu-plan-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I will totally share the recipes! I will get them ready for next week's post :-) Congrats on your welder! My younger son wants to go into construction when he graduates in two years. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your link! I will stop over and say HI :-)

      Delete