NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Unpacking: Control


 
I've been thumbing through journal entries from earlier this year.  After reading a stack of positively encouraging and informational books since January, I felt God tugging at my heart to pause and reflect, 2 Timothy 3:7 bouncing around my brain as a caution;

always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

This year-long journey has been so powerful and impactful, I knew God wanted me to take stock and be sure Truth is secured before I continue walking on.

Earlier this summer in "Unpacking:Imperfection" I reflected on some of the growth and revelation I have enjoyed since my Sabbatical leave this past year.  Old journal thumbing in all of this reflective time was just what the Good Doctor ordered.  The particular entry I feel called to share today is one of those, just HAD to shares, especially as summer seeps to an end and the business of fall and winter holidays begins to take over.

I pray this reflection is medicine for your soul, as it has been for mine:


Friday 6-1-18
Wow - June.  Here we are!  Lots and lots of rain.  Trying to be mindful of the need to, as my goals I listed in my planner say: breathe in-between and put one foot in front of the other.

It isn't easy though... my list has multiple "random" things and as I look ahead to summer I don't feel much peace... mostly trepidation.  I told [my husband] that the amount of work needing to be done around here is overwhelming and he was good to remind me: there will always be work.  Something I've been coming to understanding... and now I need to find a way to measure out in digestible portions.  The garage and attic in particular.  


In all honesty, what I want to do is write and lesson plan!  That would make a great summer (+ a few adventures!)


Lord - please help me find peace and renewal in the midst of all there is to do.


[Then I read Psalm 46 for my devo]

.... I did not journal in light of this devo but I praise God for this devo in light of my journaling!


There are 3 stanzas in Psalm 46 and after each one is "Selah".


Breathe

Pause
Be ensconced by God.

HE does the work so I don't have to.  Me - just put one-foot-in-front-of-the-other.  Do each next thing and trust God's direction and strength.  Rest and trust God's direction and strength.  Go when He leads and follow where He goes.  


I can't go wrong in that!


This also speaks to the message of "control" I'm learning to hash out.  Last night I learned something new...


I've always loved storms - powerful, beautiful, unpredictable.  Life giving to the earth.  But... whether [my husband's tendency to panic has] influenced or...?  I dunno, but as the storm raged, I churned... what if the garden floods out, what if the basement floods... what if, what if.... I CAN'T STOP IT so what can/will I do?


Then I thought of Mark Hall [The Well] - we are pulling from the well (aka "hole") of control when we stop praying and start trying to do things ourselves - isn't that what worry is?  Trying to control or frustrated with the lack of?


It was eye-opening for me to realize this far reaching area of control in my life.


I'm grateful God is opening my eyes to all this.... that I might learn to walk in peacefulness, trusting Him... counter-culture reflecting Him into a dark and rushed world.


Come, behold the works of the Lord,
    how he has brought desolations on the earth. 
 He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
    he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
    he burns the chariots with fire. 
 “Be still, and know that I am God.

The Lord of hosts is with us;
    the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah
Psalm 46:8-10a, 11 

(The first part of this Psalm refers to Mighty God, the second part to us and Be Still!!)

"God of Jacob", the same Jacob who worked 2x harder to marry the woman he loved... Jacob, who wrestled God.

Be still and know

God is God and I am not!!   

If that's not a control check, I don't know what is!! 

---------

So that was my beginning of summer lesson and as a result, most of summer has gone rather smoothly.  The garage got done, one-step-at-a-time.  The attic will wait till cooler months.  All things needing to be done were completed in their own time and all the rest... well, I didn't sweat it (too much anyway!!)

I pray to apply this surrender of control and holding on of Selah type rest to the school months as well... and all days in life to come.  I pray you find your surrendering and Selah moments in-between the business of life.  After all, following God's lead and Selah are probably the most important parts which energize us and guide us to be the Vessels He has called us to be; His light reflecting so all might see ♥️

Blessings,








I read, "The Well; Why are so many still thirsty" by Mark Hall, lead singer of Casting Crowns.  It is such a powerful book, I thought I would share the link here.
https://www.amazon.com/Well-Why-Many-Still-Thirsty/dp/0310340381/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533838942&sr=8-1&keywords=The+well+by+mark+hall
It is also in one of the drawing packages I have going right now, more info below...

also...




By the way.....


*Are you subscribed to my newsletter?  You might want to be.  Plans are in the works for some GREAT bonus material to be included starting soon!  Not to mention the articles on Faith, Home, and Homeschooling you won't even find on the blog!  It's Ok, hop over real quick, right there to your right, see it on my sidebar where it says, "Subscribe to my Newsletter"?  Ok, now enter your email in the box labeled "email address" then click "Subscribe"....(don't worry, it doesn't hurt and I promise not to spam you!).  Entering your email will do 2 awesome things:

#1 - You are automatically signed up for my newsletter (expect to see your issues around the last Thursday of each month).  Yay!
#2 - It enters you into a drawing where you get to pick from one of 4 GREAT prize bundles I will be giving away at the end of the summer.

Don't worry, if you are already subscribed hop on over to the link in text above and leave a comment sharing what you enjoy about the monthly newsletter.  Be sure to mention you are an existing newsletter subscriber and I will pop your name in my drawing jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment