NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Meditating On The Word and the Power of Prayer

In October's Newsletter* I wrote under Faith about how easy it is to become so distracted in the busy fall season that we shove-off the most important part of the day, Bible Study, so we can get to the ever-demanding list of to-dos!  My own family has had this challenge this year... the first year we haven't been actively doing a group study in the fall season.  So, as I wrote the most recent newsletter, I couldn't get past this gnawing feeling that my family and I were not alone... that other woman and their families were suffering from a weak or non-existent daily Bible study.  Solution?  I sort of wrote one (stick around for the end of this article to see how you can get a copy!)!

I've been challenging everyone, both within my walls and without, to dive into a systematic yet personal study of Psalm 119.  I've combed through this epic poem before, its verses are marked extensively with remarks and exclamations in the warn pages of my favorite Bible.  So, when I decided to add this study to my current line-up, I expected mere review I could bring to the table each Friday this month as my family joins together for our weekly review of what we have learned.  However, God has humbled me and reminded me how, no matter how many times we read and study familiar passages in His Word, it is ever growing with us, ever speaking and ever teaching...
 
 ... you see, like so many people, I struggle personally.  Hubby and I don't always see eye-to-eye and his abruptness can sting.  Kids don't always walk the way I would hope.  School days don't always go as planned.  I battle feelings of failure.  If I am honest, some days I want to run away! 

My testimony within my marriage is the power of prayer... of how God used daily, committed prayers to draw my husband to Him.  Over the years, God has been so faithful to hear my pleas and heal my heart... to fill me up when I shout out in celebration... and to comfort me in my deepest hurts.  But somehow, in this busy season of life, I have forgotten to put prayer before worry... petitions over concerns... pleas when I am weary.  Then God's good Word hit me between the eyes:

How can a young man keep his way pure?
    By guarding it according to your word.
With my whole heart I seek you;
    let me not wander from your commandments!
I have stored up your word in my heart,
    that I might not sin against you.
Blessed are you, O Lord;
    teach me your statutes!
With my lips I declare
    all the rules of your mouth.
In the way of your testimonies I delight
    as much as in all riches.
I will meditate on your precepts
    and fix my eyes on your ways. 
I will delight in your statutes;
    I will not forget your word.
- Psalm 119:9-16

In studying this passage I first recognized the question:  How can a young man keep his way pure?  Ok, let's transition that... how can a middle-aged woman keep her way pure?!  Simply... by guarding it according to God's Word.  Then there is a list of sorts which involves seeking, storing, declaring, being taught and delighting.  And the one which stood out most to me: meditating.

Here I dug.

I dug because "meditate" is such a worn word, even in Christian vernacular.  I wanted a good hold of it.  Webster's 1828 helped me out:
To dwell on anything in thought; to contemplate; to study; to turn or revolve a subject in the mind... a consideration of the great truths of religion.
"His delight is in the law of the Lord, and in his law he does meditate day and night" - Psalm 1:2
 I will meditate on your precepts... dwell on God's Word, the Bible and each precious passage within.  Dwell on God not my problems or worries or struggles.  I will contemplate His Word, study and consider.  If my mind is full of His Truth, worry becomes so much smaller.  Meditating on God's precepts, as the verse goes on to say, is fixing my eyes NOT on what concerns me here, rather, on how Great and Good God is over it all... evidences and reassurances found in scripture. 

My action steps became crystal clear at this point.  When trouble bubbles and boils, I need to think of God's promises... never leaving or forsaking, calling me to cast my cares, reassuring me that He will fight my battles and be my fortress.  And then, I can PRAY.  With God's precepts moment-by-moment meditated upon and placed before me, I can lift up all of life's challenges and let go and TRUST Him to take control for me.  He has done it in history of old for those who called Him their God... He has done it for me since I declared my allegiance in a small lake side church many years ago.... He will do it again and again until the very end.

I will meditate on
fix my eyes on
delight in
never forget
...   God's great Word♥️


I pray your path is well lit with the Word of God... that you remember, along with me, the power of prayer and trust in all of God's goodness and strength recorded in his wonderful Word... that you don't let the busyness of life get in the way of the Water of life.




*Are you interested in studying Psalm 119 with me?  Keep scrolling down to see how you can sign up for my monthly newsletter.  Once you have registered I will personally send you the current newsletter which includes a FREE Bible Study printable on Psalm 119!

Blessings,









By the way.....


*Are you subscribed to my newsletter?  You might want to be.  Why?  Well, the newsletter contains bonus material you won't find on the website... not to mention, in those busy months when I can't get regular blog articles up, you can count on this periodical popping up in your email in-box each last Thursday with all new content!  What exactly does the newsletter contain?
  • Encouraging articles on Faith, Home(making), and Homeschool
  • Free printables under different themes each month
  • Insider info on the latest goings-ons with all things on my blog and writing related
You won't find all this great bonus material on the blog so be sure to sign up so you don't miss out!  It's Ok, hop over real quick, right there to your right, see it on my sidebar where it says, "Subscribe to my Newsletter" with a  picture of the "Faith and Home Times" logo above it?  Ok, now enter your email in the box labeled "email address" then click "Subscribe"....(don't worry, it doesn't hurt and I promise not to spam you!). You should receive a confirmation email from me.  

Also, with your new subscription, you will be entered into my latest drawing!  I'm still working on the details for the new one, but I'm certain you will love it!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment