NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

The mmmmm Factor: Leftovers Made New

I thought it would be more fun to share recipes under the title "The mmmmmm Factor" as in, yummy stuff my family loves too much to keep to myself!  It is a hospitality/Titus2 kind of idea to encourage and inspire easy and cost effective cooking.  No one loves easy, inexpensive, and yummy cooking as much as me.... ok.... I'm sure someone out there does! 

This mmmmm factor is an Irish delete: POTATOES!!!  I want to take a look at the left-over mashed variety....

I quit buying instant potatoes some months ago.  Mostly for the healthier quality of 'fresh' in a red or yellow AND the "real" potatoes are actually more filling and satisfying.  My quick run-down if you have never made home-made mashed potatoes:

Peel and cut potatoes of choice into small cubes about 1-2 potatoes per person (depending on size and appetite!  If you want leftovers for the following recipe, make a bunch).  Place in cook pot and just barely cover with water*, boil until tender enough to mash easily with a fork, drain, and mash with masher (if you don't have a potato masher, a tenderizer will work).  Add a splash of milk (I use almond milk) and beat with mixer.  If you have never made mashed potatoes before, do not fear: as you mix, slowly add milk little by little until your potatoes are the consistency you like.  Don't fret if they are slightly lumpy, it just adds texture!!
*(You can add other flavors such as bullion or herbs to the water while they boil if you want something beyond plain).

So what to do with those leftovers?


I don't have a good name for them... maybe Fried Potato Cakes?  They are a variation of Latkes if you are familiar with them.  My recipe calls for:

Mashed potato (2-4 cups) (instant will NOT work for this recipe... I've tried!)
1 egg
1/3-1/2 cup flour of choice
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
oil of choice (for frying)  I use lard
Mix all ingredients, except oil, in bowl by hand. 
Heat oil in skillet on medium high
Spoon a heaping amount of potato mixture into pan and gently flatten to approx 1/2 inch thick or slightly thinner.  Fry till brown, carefully flip and finish frying.  Drain on towel or rack and salt.  I kept mine warm on a rack on a cookie sheet in the oven set low till we were ready to serve.

Serve.... however you like!  We had ours with fried eggs.  You could also serve with fish or any other dish where you enjoy the taste of potatoes.

I hope this recipe blesses your kitchen, your stomach, and all who get to enjoy your cooking!

Blessings,
















4 comments:

  1. We love the real potatoes. It's pretty rare if we have leftovers, but this is a great recipe! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Did you know you are a no-reply blogger? I couldn't email you in response to your comment. You can change that by following this tutorial: http://www.flusterbuster.com/2013/02/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed! Thank you for the tip. I did not know I was a no reply blogger! I always check the box that says notify me of replies!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a wonderful and tasty way to use mashed potato leftovers. Thank you for joining the Art of Home-Making Mondays! We will be following along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is :-) Thank you for hosting it! I love link-ups, they are always fun for meeting new people and seeing new ideas! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete