NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Friday, May 4, 2012

Adventures in Charlotte Mason



I have always been inspired by the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling.  Sage Parnassus is an escape of mine when I want to daydream how my homeschool could be!  But I agree with Sprittibee in the method of mostly eclectic and accidentally unschooled certain days of the week.


None-the-less my wild hair has gotten the best of me and multiple books are on reserve at the library... just for dabbling!  I did manage Pocketful of Pinecones this weekend, all in 3 days while still feeling accomplished in housework, writing, and all things "mom"!

I was truly enchanted.

So much so that when a giant fuzzy bumble bee wondered into the house and found itself trapped by the kitchen window, I quickly scooped her up and made an impromptu science observation lesson.


It turns out my Brooke has developed a deep fear of bees.  She opted to observe from a distance and listen as we read Bee facts out of our "encyclopedia of insects" book.  Ashley and Brenden took to drawing all the details of our little friend, which we dubbed "Queen" since the book said they are typically the only ones to survive winter and will come out in the spring to search for a good place to make their nests.






It was exciting to feel so free and see the children having so much fun and interest in our little project.  We may not be ready or capable of going full Charlotte Mason just yet... but I am going to enjoy every chance to have some adventures in her rewarding technique when I can!

Be free little bee!

Praying you are blessed in all your homeschooling adventures!





Linking up with Sue and the iHomeschoolNetwork today:


as well as Kris:

4 comments:

  1. I love nature study like this. We are mostly Charlotte Mason at our home; even with Grammar. Lots of living books around here. :) In the warmer months we do a lot of school outside as well. I found The Charlotte Mason Companion to be an invaluable resource. I have the Charlotte Mason Volumes and have been reading through them at my pace. Her schools of thought about children impact me in significant ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely! I have her "companion" on hold at the library and need to pick it up today. I have always been intrigued by her style yet not confident enough to go 'full Charlotte' then realizing I am already doing some things in that method without realizing it! Perhaps it is time to embrace more :-) Thank you for the encouraging words! May your teaching be blessed :-)

      Delete
  2. What a great nature study opportunity! I love Pocketful of Pinecones, and Charlotte Mason... definately worth dabbling in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast! I have thought about purchasing Pocketful to keep handy for encouragement on those tough days :-) In the meantime, the library loan has been a blessing!

      Delete