NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Monday, February 7, 2011

Recipes for Sickies

It can be so hard when the family is sick :-(  Everyone took turns last week.  I mean, really, why share it all at once... lets spread it out and make it last longer.  Like a good cup of cocoa or your favorite dessert!

But this week we have a relapse.  My husband.  There is also his mom (who we are staying with right now) who is not feeling well.  That icky throat stuff that burns and the sinus pain to go along.  I hate to see them both laid up with the sickies.


Yes, this is my hubby this morning, shoveling... while he is sick :-(  Bless his heart for working so hard.  As you can see by the snow behind his legs, we really got our share of the white stuff last night!  This driveway was completely shoveled before last night!

 As I worked at a home remedy I like to use, I thought of my blog followers and how it might help all of you during the cold and flu season.  I am no expert on these matters by any stretch of the imagination... but I do have little tricks God has led me to over the years that tend to help reduce symptoms and speed up recovery.

Here is what I do:

Honey, honey, honey.  And no, I am not getting fresh!  I keep a lot of honey around.  "Healing Foods From the Bible" just raves about the healing attributes of honey and I agree. I like to mix it with some hot Sweet Dreams tea which has chamomile and mint.  This is soothing for the throat and helps a sicky body to rest.

As the cups of tea steeped today I went to work on my 'Chicken Broth on Steroids' recipe!  What you need:

Chicken Bullion to make 5 cups broth
4 cups water (purified if you have it)
1 1/2 small onions, quartered and sliced in thick pieces
3-5 cloves of garlic, pealed and sliced
1-2 Tbsp parsley
1-2 tsp pepper
and for the really sick patients... 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper!

Plop all ingredients into a stainless steal or enamel pot (if you have them) and bring to a boil on high, stirring occasionally.  Boil hard for approximately 2 minutes, then reduce heat to medium and let cook for about 5 more minutes. 

Remove from heat and strain so all that remains is the broth.  Serve!  For the tough guys in your house, leave all the goodies in and let them chow down on onion and garlic... it is great for the immune system!

Be well this week! 

(No sickies left among these three... and that is a good thing with all the fresh snow!)


No comments:

Post a Comment