NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Monday, November 21, 2011

Stories of Thanksgiving

I just had to share this today...

... in case you can get to your local library or book store and nab a copy.  The kids and I started reading it today and it is already endearing.  Of course, I will read anything Alcott (and yes, I know she has written some dark novels but many of her other writings are delightful).  Seeing this on the library shelf was no exception.  After all, the kids are starting to get too old to really take a lot from Clifford's Thanksgiving anymore (although, Clifford is always a hit!!)

But I have to say, reading today as Alcott wrote how this family all pitched in and did their "chorin'" not because they got anything from it but they did it out of love... I had to pause and revel at what family truly was then and what it truly should be now.  God calls us to serve each other, gladly, and the Bassett family in An Old Fashioned Thanksgiving truly serves one another.  I can see this book becoming a staple in our annual reading diet!

I guess, while I am at it, I might as well share our other two staples:

Over the River and Through the Woods by Lydia Maria Child and (most importantly) illustrated by David Catrow is the best.  David's pictures make this version of the classic song we have all sung growing up!  The kids and I both get some great giggles watching the antics of the little boy in this story as he and his parents battle traffic and mountain roads (and other hilarious obstacles) to get to grandma's for dinner and pumpkin pie!

and
We read this every Thanksgiving eve, like Twas the Night Before Christmas, it builds the excitement and enjoyment of the season.  This book is near and dear as it causes us to think beyond ourselves.  I still get choked up every Thanksgiving eve as I read the last few verses. 

As we each take time this week to be Thankful, I would like to share that I am truly thankful to be here sharing with all of you!

God Bless you for a wonderful happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment