NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ready Attitudes and Winning Responses


My husband is out of town.  (It is awfully quiet here!)  He is at a pastor's retreat, presumably attending.  However, upon visiting with him this morning I learned they asked him to run A.V. since that is his specialty.  I chuckled to myself at the change of plans he is joyfully embracing.  I thought of how we should always be ready to serve... in ALL situations and circumstances.

Then I thought of a newer movie we recently watched.  One of the main characters enters a distressful situation and her assistant doesn't wait to be asked; she quickly steps forward, fully ready, and readily asserts, "How can I help you."  Not one of those customer service representative type of questions... no, a much more down-to-business and direct assertion. In that simple phrase she assures her boss she is ready and she wants to help immediately.  What's more, this assistant is actually undercover and holds much more ability, intelligence and authority then her boss knows.  Yet she steps forward and steps up.

What ever happened to that mentality in our society?  The assistant's response to distress is not common.  My husband's ready attitude when he is suppose to be on retreat is not common either.  But both should be.

The trail in my mind took me to Mark 10...


So Jesus called them and said to them, "You know that among the Gentiles those whom they recognize as their rulers lord it over them, and their great ones are tyrants over them. But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant,  
 - Mark 10:43

I thought of my marriage and what would happen if I did not humbly submit to my husband... serve him... how lacking in wholeness, completeness and peace our marriage would be.  I thought, too, of society as a whole and how much more joy and love and peace would fill our streets and buildings if more people took Jesus' advice and laid aside their ambitions for God's.  If they set down their titles and accolades and lifted up others first... without waiting to be asked.

It may be a pipe-dream... a high hope to think one woman in one small town can make much of a difference in encouraging radical selfless activities.... but there was this one guy once, in a small town in a tiny country, in the middle of no-where...

Just somethin' to think about!

Be Blessed,
 






Linking up with Somegirl today:



2 comments:

  1. Willing to move into a situation and be of assistance. That is great about your husband. I haven't seen that movie but it must inspire other associates to be ready to help when needed. And YOU, a pastors wife, wow you are really needed to help your husband (probably quietly, and prayerfully.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful: Humbly I confess I am a missionaries wife... but many days it isn't much different, especially with some of the families and churches he disciples! God is showing me how to pray more deeply for my husband, speak less and love more. I think that kind of service is just as needed as sleeves-rolled-up-hands-in-the-dirt!

      Bless you this weekend!

      Delete