NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

In a Whisper


It is quiet times when we contemplate, sitting with our hands folded.

God, are you there?  Did I get moving so fast I buzzed right past you?

We sit.

We wait.

And he whispers, yes.

Yes, I move too fast sometimes.  Thinking on all I can and want to do.

So fast I keep on trucking and I miss my turn... I'm down a long stretch of road where no exists seem to be left.

But then I slow, I sit, and I realize: sometimes life does move to fast and I have to be careful not to move with it.  He is waiting to use me, work through me, speak to me.  But I can't hear it in the buzz... His voice is most clear in the silence.



The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

I love the events recorded in 1 Kings 19, as Elijah runs and God speaks.  God... in a whisper.  And it isn't that he can't speak in wind, earthquake or fire... adrenalin rushing, heart racing, mind going, wondering, grabbing, filling.  But I think it is the slowing down of the heart... breathing out, quick-beat-pounding tapering to the rhythm of rest, mind clearing, senses simmering... where God strikes some of the deepest chords.  Whether we slow down for pain... or slow down, simply, for silence.  We seem to hear more clearly in slow-down... we seem to allow ourselves to be moved more efficiently.

 Just.Slow.Down... let God work in a whisper.

Perhaps you are having a too fast time right now... perhaps you are slowed down just right.  Where-ever you are... whatever your mode... listen.  See if you hear Him... see if you are moved by him.

Whispering blessings,









4 comments:

  1. Hi Amanda
    What a peaceful post. Thank you for your gentle reminder to "Be still and KNOW.."
    Found you at MercyInk and would love for you to visit me at Blessings Beyond the Barnyard. I am a homeschooling mother of two cotton top little boys. Wife of a cowboy who stole my heart two decades ago :O)
    Karmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karmen, you have a darling blog! Thank you for sharing! Your story, while having some trials, seems to be filled with many blessings too!

      Delete
  2. Amanda this was a very special post. So thankful for it!! Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, I'm so blessed you could enjoy the post today! God's Word is amazing! As always, thanks for the wonderful link-up to share at!

      Delete