NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

What Love Is

It was last minute and my heart was overjoyed to be a part... to know prayers were answered.  A friend of mine for many years was married in a last-minute ceremony by a justice of the peace on Thursday.  Far from the fanfare her and now hubby were planning for in October.  Instead it was simple, us, them, and two more (not including the robed judge). 

Tears were stuck in my throat.

This is love, I thought.  This is just the beginning.  Will they know it is still love when they fight and argue and notice a twinge of hate and frustration?  Will they know it is still love when times are hard and no one can seem to do anything right?  Will they know that love prevails?

I handed them their first wedding day card, scribbled inside words God gave me to share; reflections and understandings from my years of wedded bliss and un-bliss.  The Hope that has always brought be through.

"Read 1 Corinthians 13 regularly, live it daily..." I advised.  I meant it.

When our hearts or bare and raw what is it that gets us through?  Not him, not her, nothing of this earth patches the broken.  Nothing of ourselves can pull us through.  Only HIM, only His love and hope and strength. 


[Love] does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.... It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.  - 1 Corinthians 13:5, 7-8 (TNIV)


At dinner I quietly shared my greatest hope, my largest goal; to keep no record of wrong.  For it is those records that puncture an already hurting heart.  It is the records that mask and cover over the blessings and the joy of now with the hurt and discouragement of the past. 

Love is now, love is not then.  It is ever growing, ever increasing, ever moving and drawing us to better.  Love is not a feeling, it is a Being.  We must always remember to keep that Being close, to let it fill us up... even when we don't feel it... we must always remember it is there.

May the hope of love fill you this week, may the presence of the Lord ever remind you.

Blessings,

  





5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I try to live 1 Corinthians 13 daily, and daily I fail. I am thankful for grace and forgiveness.

    I was blessed enough to celebrate 10 years of marriage with my husband this month. I don't take it for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great advice to share! I pray they take it to heart.

    Happy WFW!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. We will celebrate 30 years in December...living love daily is a choice. So grateful that God is there for us every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...my largest goal; to keep no record of wrong. For it is those records that puncture an already hurting heart."

    Oh, you are so right. And this is something we need to ever-remind ourselves of. To keep no record of wrongs. Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you ladies. Jesus did say the greatest is Love and love is certainly the greatest feeling we experience. I am blessed you could all enjoy the post :-) (Congrats Alida!)

    ReplyDelete