NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Day With God

"Then Jesus went with them to the olive grove called Gethsemane, and he said, “Sit here while I go over there to pray.” He took Peter and Zebedee’s two sons, James and John, and he became anguished and distressed. He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.” He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”  - Matthew 26:36-39



Last May my husband and I were having many discussions on what we felt was God calling us into missions work.  My head was swimming and I kept feeling God say, "We need some time alone."  Four kids, hubby, and a mountain top are not good ingredients for any length of alone with God time.


Exasperated, I shared my need with my husband.  He was a darling and offered to take the kids on a fishing trip FOR THE WHOLE DAY!




Too cool.  


I had my first ever all day date with God!  I began with a journal, a good study Bible, a partial fast, a lot of prayer and quiet time, and a little worship music.  All the best elements for a day alone with God!




Being a writer (and a list maker) I started by prayerfully making a list of all my thoughts and questions.  I felt this would serve two purposes:  

1) On paper, my questions would not feel the need to continually plague me and therefore empty my mind to be a ready vessel to receive God's Word.
2) My thoughts and questions were laying as an offering to the Lord.  For Him to receive and, as He saw fit, ready for Him to answer.

I made a key at the top of my journal page with Q = Questions, A = Answers (I was looking forward to recording these!), and T = Thoughts because some things weren't really questions but rather simple thoughts that I wanted to lay before God or thoughts that God gave me through the course of the day that sometimes had nothing to do with the Questions.



Many of the questions began with "Should"...


Isn't that how we are as humans?  Should we do this, should we go here, should we say that?  Some things were things we were afraid to do... some were things we hoped to do... but all were things we sought God to do.


Words can not express alllll of what happened that day.  I cried a handful of times.  I worshipped inside the house and out.  I went for short walks where I remained prayerful and even sought God in every step and turn I took.  I even looked for Him and His message in nature.  


I sought God in everything of that day from the scripture and study notes I read...


...to the pictures I drew in my journal.




When I finally felt I had freedom to exit the silence and enter into worship music, I even asked God what to listen to....




I wanted was being called to silence my mind, my life, my being... so I could hear the whispers of my Father answer the many questions I had about this pivotal time in my life.  His voice, like velvet, caressed my soul.  He answered every question I had and I found so much peace.


Jesus in the garden was seeking the Father over what would be the biggest moment of mankind's lives.  His decision to die for us was reflected in my day with God as I chose to live for Him.


It is amazing what God can show us when we surrender ourselves completely to Him.  Silence our life to hear the noise of His.  I pray you are able to surrender yourself to the leading of the Lord this week, to quiet your heart and come alive to Him!




2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. My prayer life is so weak, and I feel the need to strengthen it, but I don't really know where to start. I think God and I need some time alone to begin to sort it all out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mama Bear,
    It can be hard when we have a weak prayer life. Just remember, it can start right now.

    I would like to post an article about prayer and reference your comment... would you mind?

    ReplyDelete