NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Friday, April 29, 2011

The Mother's Homeschool Journal #1

After prayerful consideration, I am going to start participating in The Homeschool Chick's weekly event:


To read why this project stirs my heart, check out the "Homeschool Journal" tab at the top of this page. 

Here goes!


In my life this week…
I started the week in spiritual warfare.  By the grace of God and through His guidance and strength I was able to overcome quickly.  I was right-as-rain by Tuesday!

Some AMAZING news was confirmed... but I can't share it yet!  Hopefully, God willing, in this spot next week! (I don't mean to tease!  But the question is "In my life this week..."!)



In our homeschool this week…
I soooo did not want to do school this week!  However, I used our spring break (last week) to re-set our last 6 weeks of lesson plans (we were still running off track since the move in January).  The kids' math is very tightly scheduled to get it all done in time so I rebuked the enemy (procrastination and laziness) and we hit in hard... and I am so glad we did!

Ashley was diagramming sentences like a pro and really got a hold of Probability.  Brooke started learning double digit addition.... finally.  I know it is late in the year, but I am not worried.  Everything in its time!  She nailed her language arts work wonderfully!

Brenden started Remainder division.  Again, late, I know... but with his learning disability I rather make sure he understands the preceding concepts before pushing him into something else.  Understanding sometimes takes a while!  (notice, I don't say "perfecting"... just understanding!)  Well, he really did amazing on his division... better than I expected!  I am so proud of his diligence and he didn't get upset once with hard problems!

One frustration I had was with their spelling.  Brenden and Brooke haven't done real well the last few weeks with spelling.  Missing 5-7 out of 20 words. Brenden, being a visual learner, needs the manipulation to grasp things.  Ever since the move, this has been hard... we usually use cornmeal in a pan or play-doh rolled out in ropes but I don't have a lot of freedom to make quite that big of a mess... along with other issues!  I am praying for guidance.  Brenden, being dyslexic, doesn't always have to take his "test" but I do always want him to try and learn. 

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
 We are boring... we don't go anywhere!  ;-)  Actually, we will be taking the bus up north of town Monday to run errands and grocery shop on the way back.  Weather is suppose to be nice so, prayerfully, we can walk to the park a lot next week!
 
My favorite thing this week was…
 Resurrection Sunday :-)  And the fact that we got all of our school work done AND I was able to finally clean out the area we keep our clothes in!!  I think I might go camp out there... so nice!
 
Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
 I have tried to contact our local Homeschool Association about their annual rummage and curriculum sale.  I just loved it last year and would love to go again this year.  Great way to get books at dirt cheap prices (and help other parents out too!)  I will have to set some change back for the occasion :-)

I haven't done the research yet, so I wonder if anyone can recommend a good math program for dyslexics (Other than Math-U-See).  I really want to get Brenden on something more comprehensive.
 
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

 This video is just all up in my head this week!  I remember singing it at the Youth With a Mission base and I think it is such an amazing worship song... especially with such a faith filled crowd!  It is also great for those moments when you are seeking God! 

May God grant you blessed homeschool weeks and ambition to get it all done!

8 comments:

  1. Love your blog! So beautiful and tastefully designed. Can't wait to hear your big news next week! Visiting from THMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robin. I can't wait to share it! God willing! Thanks for stopping by :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making good progress with your kiddos this week. Wow - a missionary family. I would love that life. I really admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Don't admire me though, admire how God can work in our lives... he can work in your life too. It isn't always easy but it is always a blessing to serve God.... serve where you are :-) God uses us all when we allow him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just loved your blog and how you have it all set up :)
    Keri
    A mom who chooses to accept and enjoy her child'shomeschool learning disabilities

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Keri! God guided me and I am thankful for this "home" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! God gives us Blessings in his own way <3

    A mom who chooses to accept and enjoy her child's homeschool learning disabilities

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keri, thanks for stopping by!
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete