NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The House That Forgiveness Built

 I love history and vintage.  For  my regular readers, you probably know that!  There is something warm and pleasant about the things of old.  Houses are no exception.  I have an old house fetish to match my general vintage fetish!
 Yesterday the kids and I took a self-guided history walk of a portion of our downtown east side neighborhoods.  Yes, I was taking pictures of other people's houses!
 At least I wasn't peeping in the windows!  Besides, many had the historical registry sign out front so I used that as an excuse ;-)
 One thing that strikes me about old houses is their beauty and attention to decorative detail.
 I also love their character and charm.  I know some of them (especially here out west with harsh winters and once-remote locations) took a number of years to build.
 Craftsman of that age cared as much about the inside as they did the outside.  All aspects of the house were often a reflection of it's creator and its owner; two visions intertwined to produce perfect beauty.

People are really no different.  Are we not crafted by our creator for a purpose?  We come with our own desires and wants and the two ambitions, when intertwined, produce perfect  beauty.


By wisdom a house is built,
   and through understanding it is established;
through knowledge its rooms are filled
   with rare and beautiful treasures. 
- Proverbs 24:3-4




However, neglect and abuse can often cause a house to loose its luster.  What was intended for beauty and life becomes wrecked and shambled.  Brush may overgrow the busted windows may fall out.  The beauty that once was becomes hidden.

But it is not lost.

A good house has a strong foundation, stable structure, and is never quite lost when a little TLC is applied.  Many of the houses we saw yesterday were restored in that way...

We can all be restored too.  It doesn't just happen though.  It takes work.  Tearing out the rot, replacing the broken, weeding the yard... muscle, grit and sweat.  We are all renewable.  And it starts with admission and forgiveness.

We must forgive self, we must forgive others, we must tear out what is rotting and replace with what is new - good bye sin and all it's friends (hate, anger, grudges, unforgiveness, selfishness, deceit.... and so on!) and hello Holy Spirit (forgiveness, love, hope, trust, understanding... and so on!)

Our windows will reflect His love.  Our framework and foundation will be strong for the storms.  With regular study (maintenance) prayer and faith, our house will not fall.

After all, the house that Forgiveness built is the most memorable and loved house of all.

May your heart find remodeling home and forgiveness in the rafters this week!

God Bless!












Every life has testimonies of how God intercedes to show His power and glory.  To read the first installment in a brand new series of books about God's divine work in one person's life, click below

12 comments:

  1. I love old houses too! Beautiful analogy and lesson for us all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda! Lori stopping over from WFW! What an incredibly thoughtful post...LOVED this!
    Leaving blessed!

    peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies :-) I am blessed God's words could be a blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Written simply and tastefully. It’s pleasant to read. Thank u.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the old too, except on my face! ;) Good post, today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I love that! My husband always comments on houses that are empty....and how empty houses deteriorate so much faster than houses...that are lived in.

    Thank you for linking this!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the analogy using old houses. Such a great post, thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cutom and Christina, Thank you... God bless you!

    Ruth, I agree, the new paint streaks in the hair (aka, gray) are interesting as well!

    Rebecca, I agree with your hubby! We must live in and preserve life to have true property value :0)

    Blessings to all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful and easy to understand devotional for all ages - from our young kids and grandkids all the way up to the boomers and seniors in the family. Thank you for a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kaye, you are very welcome, I am glad God's word could inspire :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm SO glad that God is one who is renovating my "house." I couldn't do it without Him! I love how you used the analogy of historical homes as a picture of what God wants to do in us! Thank you! I definitely need to surrender more freely to the Master Builder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer, I am so glad God could speak to you through this article. I agree and surrendering to the Master Builder is sometimes difficult for these human bodies! Like the owner disputing with the builder, we often think what we know and want is better when the builder understands the design better than we do and what will/won't actually work! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete