NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Mary Heart in a Martha World

And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus’ feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me.” And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her.”   - Luke 10:39-42


Mother's Day Sunday, the pastor talked about how moms can keep from growing weary in the work we do each day.  One of my favorites from his list was:

"Don't let the duties get ahead of being a daughter (of God).  Worship like Mary then work like Martha"
Drawn by my friend Grace at a retreat last year
I have learned over the years that the most important part of each day is starting with morning devotion/study/prayer.  As many times as I fall in love with Luke 10, I never quite considered the 'sum-up' as the pastor had put it. 

Homeschooling, moming, wifeing, being, tend to zap it all out of a gal!  Every juicy detail of life poses a threat to stealing our Christ centered joy if we are not careful.  Not only is a position at His feet essential to our spiritual growth, it is imperative if we wish to run and not grow weary. 
Be a Mary before you go and be Martha!  

May you find peace and comfort in a sitting-at-His-feet position today!

3 comments:

  1. This confirms an answer to a question I've had recently about rest... thank you! And thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. My kids so often teach me to let go of the Martha part of myself. I see their hearts and I realize how I need to embrace being more Mary like and sit at the feet of Jesus.

    Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad this post could help you ladies! I use to suffer from a perfectionists attitude. It took accumulating 4 kids and embracing a Mary heart before I finally let go... and I still sometimes need to remind myself of a right focus!

    God Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete