NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Mother's Homeschool Journal #4



 In my life this week…
Why is it I look back lately and draw a blank?  Life this week has been.... average!  A cat in this house wiggled his way out and went missing for 3 days.  Found him... behind the house hanging out!  Sometimes I think it would be nice to wiggle out and go missing for three days!  Nah... I would miss this too much!

In our homeschool this week…
We are plugging along.  Finishing up a money unit this week.  Ashley's research is slow and steady but not where I hoped she would be.  I think we are all more than ready for summer break!  (Only two more weeks!!!!!)

Brooke told me yesterday that she had been "thinking" and if she was going to know how to sew when she grew up, she thought she should start learning now!  She asked to start with hand sewing a dress for her teddy bear... so start we did! 

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
  I MUST get to my small storage unit and pull out all our old curriculum this next week if I am going to have it ready and submitted to the annual homeschool garage/curriculum sale.

My favorite thing this week was…
As you read this, I should be at (or close to) Big Sky Bible Camp on Peterson Lake at the base of the lovely Rocky Mountains we are so blessed to live near.  It is my weekend with God... my own private retreat to pray, reflect, study, and write.  

The details just worked out today and I truly believe God led me to this location (it would be such a fluke that I found it like I did in any other regard!).  They have a cabin they reserve for ministers and missionaries to rest.  I feel so blessed.
 
What's working/not working for us...
Long division on notebook paper and "order of operation" to remember how... total winner!  We were actually able to step back up to 3 digit division... finally!  I shared this a couple weeks ago... just reporting that it is successful.



Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…
Does anyone 'do school' from first thing in the morning until mid afternoon like a regular public school?  We always fall short on history and science.  I start every year with full intentions of getting all the 'extras' in.... and they fall off within a few months.  I can't afford a lot of spendy curriculum... any suggestions?
 
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
 Big Sky Bible Camp.... and the "Crater Cottage" I will be staying in for 3 days and 2 nights


4 comments:

  1. History and Science are biggies. That is why I go to a co-op where all the moms help out in History, Science, and Writing. This helps tremendously with planning and we never fall short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally relate to 'drawing a blank' on the week :) it takes my son most of the day to finish school, i'd say we shoot for 4hrs a day and i finish whatever i need to teach before lunch most days. we live near the rocky mtns too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do not school as much as a regular public school. We start at 10a and usually get done about 2:30p and there's prolly 45-60 minutes of recess time in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the tips! It sounds like our school day is pretty relative.

    ReplyDelete