NEW BLOG!

NEW BLOG!
THE BLOG HAS MOVED, please visit link in image to see fresh content

Friday, June 17, 2011

The Mother's Homeschool Journal #8


 

In my life this week…
I started to implement our summer schedule:
  • Up early (for me, sleep in for kids)
  • Work on my e-SBS course studies (Cause it is quiet, everyone is sleeping!)
  • Blog (While kids eat, review math facts and read)
  • Rest of day... which has included walking in the pouring rain on Monday (fun!), listening to Jack Gladstone in person and enrolling the kids in the summer reading program at the library, and finally tackling re-organizing in the small room we call 'home' :-)  I won't count being sick on Wednesday, the one sunny day all week :-(  Not fun!
Also, and I know you will think I am crazy, but my hubby suggested a laundry schedule that I groaned about.  I took his advice, though, and am loving it!  Don't tell him, but it was the best idea he has had since we have lived here!  My laundry is staying caught up ;-)

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
 Hoping to keep Mondays as bus travel days.  With or without errands, it is nice to get out and around and have adventures!  Not sure what we will do this Monday, but, God willing, we are hoping for a bus ride!

Picnic In the Park starts next week.  Live music and picnic lunch at the towns central park (For the low price of FREE!).  Now that we live in town we hope to go to almost every one of them on Wednesdays (not sure about the evening ones on Tuesdays yet).

Story time at library on Tuesday and, God willing and weather permitting, we hope to be in Lakeside most of the day on Thursday.  Visiting old friends, hanging out by the lake, and going to the SBS graduation on the missions base down there in the evening.  It will be our last chance to visit with our friend from the Ukraine who is graduating that day.  Hope to see some other friends back recently from missions trips!

Oh, and can't forget, Zach gets back from California Saturday late.  We sure miss him, even if it has only been a week.  His last e-mail said he has a lot of fun stories to share when he gets back!  I love fun stories!

My favorite thing this week was…
The summer schedule working out!  As all moms know, working schedules are not always achievable!
 
Things I’m working on…
Deep clean and purge on the kids' bedroom/our classroom.  Also going through curriculum and getting rid of last year's (storage or garbage as deemed appropriate!) and setting aside next year's so I can be working on lesson plans soon.  I got some major over-haul stuff done yesterday (even took before pictures... watch for them next week!) and I pray to get the rest done today but the day is already filling in with other things :-(  

When the bedroom is done, I need to work on the other room in the house that is mostly ours.  It is a storage sort of area where our clothes, the rabbit, and the kids' games and art supplies sit.  The kids like to sit out there too and when we moved in I didn't have a lot of time to get it properly organized.  I pray next week's extra time will allow me to!  However, next week is suppose to be nice and yard work is calling as well!

I’m reading…
How to Read the Bible for All Its WorthMostly my e-SBS study documents online.  I will be starting my study on Philemon today or tomorrow :-)  I am excited to finally be diving in!  I am wondering when I get to finish this book (at the left) which I started as part of my course.  It is a great book with a lot of info on how to study inductively.


The kids and I are hoping to start the Bastable Children this week.
 

I’m praying for…
... continued success and God's guidance (and peace at times!) in our summer schedule.  The only element left to implement is our regular Bible study with the kids.  I truly want to honor God but showing them how important time with Him each day is.

Questions/thoughts I have… 
I wonder when summer will actually start!  You know, the hot part where you see the sun and play in the sprinkler.  I am not complaining, I like the cool air, but at least if the rain would let up we could have picnics and more trips to the park!
 
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring...... Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.”  - James 4:13-17


 

4 comments:

  1. I nearly laughed outloud at the laundry schedule. I am SURPRISED my husband has not suggested some such thing because i have been perpetually behind on it the past few months. I would love to hear more about this! following from HMJ linky. beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am deep cleaning also this week!

    Visting from HMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I think laundry for busy moms is one of the hardest tasks to get a hold of because no matter how often you do it... there is always more! (Especially in a big family!)

    The biggest problem I run into is sporadic shower schedules and people getting mad at me for doing a load at 11:00 a.m., using hot water, and they can't get a shower!

    I was venting last week about it and my husband asked how many loads we have a week (aprox.) Then he suggested, instead of push-push-pushing straight through three days straight of wash and then 3-4 days without, how about if I do a load when I get up (6:30a.m.) a load right before I start making lunch and one again right before I start dinner.

    All these times fall right before parts of the day where no one is considering a shower and it gives the hot water time to heat back up for those that may.

    Surprisingly, I am actually staying caught up on my laundry and I don't feel run over by the laundry monster! I fold as each load comes out and, my goal is, to have the kids put their clothes away at the end of each day that they have a pile.

    I tried to make excuses at first as to why this wouldn't work and I know some days the times will need adjusting or an extra load thrown in after dinner. But, for the most part, I am staying caught up, I won't need to wash on Sunday, and no one is complaining about not having appropriate clothes clean! (And I am not warn out from or dreading my laundry!

    Thanks for visiting, I feel blessed you log the site! May your laundry be washed away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, thanks for visiting! May your cleaning go well!

    ReplyDelete